Home » News and Events » Give the Gift You Will Cherish for a Lifetime
Give the Gift You Will Cherish for a Lifetime
Posted by: Florida Eye Microsurgical Institute in Worth Sharing...
It is that magical time of the year, a season of giving and being merry! At Florida Eye we want to remind you to give yourself a gift that you will cherish for a lifetime — the gift of healthy vision.
As we age, we should watch for signs of age-related vision loss because early diagnosis is critical in preventing many sight-threatening conditions from progressing. We want our patients to be empowered with information to minimize their risks. The year is almost over, and time is running out. Your insurance benefits or flex accounts may expire at the end of the year! Have you scheduled your comprehensive eye exam?
Eye Exam 101
A comprehensive eye exam is a painless procedure that can detect potentially sight-robbing conditions such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, and diabetic retinopathy, even before a patient experiences any symptoms. A comprehensive eye exam should cover the following:
- Medical history — assessed through questions about vision and family history.
- Visual acuity — tested by reading a standardized eye chart.
- Pupils — evaluated to determine how well they respond to light.
- Eye movement — tested to ensure proper eye alignment and ocular muscle function.
- Prescription for corrective lenses — evaluated to ensure proper vision correction.
- Side vision — tested for possible vision loss and glaucoma risk.
- Eye pressure — tested as a possible glaucoma symptom.
- The front part of the eye — examined to reveal any cataracts, scars, or scratches on your cornea.
- Retina and optic nerve — assessed through a dilated eye exam using special eyedrops, which allows your eye doctor to thoroughly examine the back of the eye for signs of damage.
Your Lifelong Eye Health Is Our Goal!
The importance of comprehensive eye exams cannot be overstated. If it has been a while since we last saw you, now’s a great time to schedule your next appointment! Don’t delay or deny your eye health call TODAY!
We wish you a happy and healthy holiday! We are your eye health partners, and we love helping our patients maintain good eye health for life.
References: American Academy of Ophthalmology
The content is researched and vetted by the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the This blog provides information and discussion about eye health and related subjects. The content provided on this blog and any linked materials are not intended and should not be considered medical advice. If the reader or any other person has a medical concern, they should consult with an appropriately licensed physician.